Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Return of (to) Old Songs

Old Songs 2006 was this past weekend, so a-roving we went. For roving, it was pretty directed, actually, we just drove to Altamont, NY, camped for two days, and drove back. I have discovered that two days of good weather is just about the perfect amount of camping for me. Fun without being taxing, and the ice in the cooler lasts about that long. It's just long enough to make me long for a real bed and a shower without making me all grouchy. Two days in bad weather is another creature entirely. Cool at night is a must.

Awesome things from this year:
Michael Cooney- a folk festival all by himself. Got up for his mainstage bit, with no intro sang the Simpsons version of the "Do, Re, Mi" song from The Sound Of Music. It was fantastic.
Finest Kind- sometimes accompanied, sometimes a capella, always some of the tightest harmonies I've heard.
Potato Pancakes.
The nice soap lady- Overhearing my mention of knitting, she asked me to help her turn the heel of a sock. She was having trouble, not least because she was trying to go from step three to step five. Gave me a free soap for my help. Mmm, lanolin soap...
I got the four-CD Utah Phillips Starlight on the Rails songbook. Dozens of Utah Phillips songs, each preceeded by an intro/explanation by Utah himself. I had always wondered why it's called Stupid's Song...

I missed Faith Petric, I wish she had been there. Also Christine Mangsen. But discovering new people was also good.

1 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 1:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i heart utah phillips.
(to use a much over-used phrase)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home