Monday, June 13, 2005

As promised, strawberries and vinegar

So, for our anniversary/his birthday, I bought Fuz an ice cream machine. This was a poor idea. I should have bought Fuz some nice black socks and kept the ice cream machine for myself.
Number of times Fuz has made ice cream: 1
Number of times I have made ice cream: waaay too many.
I have become an ice cream maniac. And sorbet. Let us not forget the sorbet. Anyone who does not own an ice cream maker should go out and buy one right now. They are so worth it.

Strawberry and Balsamic Vinegar Sorbet
1 c water
1/2 c sugar
1 lb strawberries, leaves and bad bits cut off
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar

Over medium heat in a heavy saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water to make simple syrup. Remove from heat. Put this in a bowl in the fridge. Puree the strawberries in a food processor. Put them through a strainer or two* layers of cheesecloth to get out the seeds. Add the juice (and some solids will get through. This is a good thing) and the vinegar to the syrup in the fridge. Chill. This is wicked important, yo. The mixture needs to be really cold when you put it in the machine. This is what my short but intense life as an ice cream chef has taught me. When it's really, truly cold, process it in the machine according to the instructions.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Vinegar? In sorbet? Eeeeew!" Trust me, okay?



*Two is the correct number. One is not enough, three doesn't really let anything through.

1 Comments:

At 6/13/2005 2:20 PM, Blogger fuz said...

2, if you count the grapefruit sorbet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home